Sponsor your Spouse, Common-Law Partner, Conjugal Partner

April 16, 2016

Closeup on young beautiful smiling couple.
If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, you are able to sponsor your loved one for Permanent Resident status in Canada. So long as you can demonstrate the the genuineness of the relationship, you can apply for sponsorship. 

Apply under the Family Class if:

  • The person you want to sponsor lives outside Canada;
  • the person you want to sponsor currently lives with you in Canada but doesn’t plan to stay in Canada while the application is being processed;
  • you plan to appeal if the application is refused; and
  • you’re sponsoring your conjugal partner or dependent child

Conjugal Relationship
You can sponsor your partner under this category if the person is living outside Canada, and you have been in a conjugal relationship with them for at least one year, and there is a significant degree of attachment between the two of you, implying not just a physical relationship but a mutually interdependent relationship, and you’ve been in a genuine relationship for at least 12 months where marriage or cohabitation hasn’t been possible for any reason.

Apply under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class if your spouse or common-law partner:

  • lives with you in Canada;
  • has valid temporary resident status in Canada, or is exempt from needing this status under a public policy.

Common-Law Relationship
You can sponsor the person as your common-law partner (any gender) as long as you’ve been living or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.

How Isakov Immigration Law Can Help You:

  • Prepare the necessary forms;
  • assist you with gathering important documentation that attests to the genuineness of your relationship;
  • prepare you for your for any interview should one be requested; and
  • follow up with IRCC on your behalf.