Visitor Permit

May 2, 2015


Every year, millions of people visit Canada for many reasons. If you are intending on travelling to Canada for visiting a family or friend, you may qualify as a Visitor depending on your intended purpose in Canada.

Before you plan your visit, you should find out if you need a visa to enter Canada. If you do not need a visa to enter Canada, you will still need to apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). In order to be considered a ‘Bona Fide’ visitor to Canada and obtain your Visitor Visa, there are many requirements that you will need to meet before you can successful. Even then, the success of your application will rely heavily on the documents you submit to support your claim. Part of the application is demonstrating your strong ties to your home country. This will prove that it is reasonable to expect that you will return to your home country once your Visitor Visa has expired.

To Visit Canada, You Must:

  • Temporary resident (visitor) visa, depending on your citizenship (see Find out if you need a visa);
  • Letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada;
  • You have strong ties to your home country;
  • Have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit;
  • Have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. it depends on things like how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives);
  • Your reason to enter Canada is temporary in nature; and
  • You do not pose a threat to Canada.

If an officer is not satisfied of the above, you may face refusal or delays in your application as the officer may require additional documentation. That being said, applying for a visitor visa is often easier said than done. There are many factors to demonstrate and your supporting documents need to adequately demonstrate your ability to comply with the above.